Who is Sophia Amoruso?
Sophia Amoruso, #Girlboss. You may have heard of her.
Founder of Nasty Gal, the multi-million dollar online store named one of the “fastest growing companies” by Inc. Magazine in 2012.
Labeled the richest self-made woman by Forbes back in 2016, with a net worth somewhere around $300 million US. Author of book, #Girlboss which was a New York Times BestSeller.
Killer metallic parrot jacket, check. Oh, she also had a Netflix show based on her life and empire.
Just your typical resume.
It’s easy to read Sophia’s bio in pure adoration and think she can do no wrong. But like every entrepreneur, Sophia had quite the turbulent ride while growing Nasty Gal.
From a rocket-like rise to the top to the Nasty Gal bankruptcy filing that wiped out much of her personal fortune… from a huge social media following to multiple lawsuits for trademark infringement and workplace discrimination… Sophia has definitely experienced her fair share of ups and downs.
When it all led to a fire sale of her signature brand to e-commerce giant boohoo.com in February 2017, we were all afraid Girlboss Sophia might be fading away.
Not so fast.
Where is Sophia Amoruso now?
Now, Sophia’s back, and she has set her sights on bringing down a giant. She’s taking on Linkedin – which she says is based on out-of-date ideas about work – with a women-focused professional networking platform, Girlboss Collective.
While we eagerly await the site’s official launch, here are some of the best quotes from Sophia’s #Girlboss book to revive the inner entrepreneur that she brought out in each of us.
Our Top Ten Quotes from #GIRLBOSS
- “Instead of spending my time trolling the forums and obsessing about what other sellers were doing, I focused on making my store as unique as possible.”
- “Treat your thoughts like your dollar bills: Don’t waste Em.”
- “You get back what you put out, so you might as well think positively, focus on visualizing what you want instead of getting distracted by what you don’t want…”
- “One of the best things about life – a reason not to go blindly after one goal and one goal only – is that sometimes it will take you to something that is way cooler than anything you would have concisely set out to do in the first place.”
- “…You have to leave room for the universe to have its way and play around a bit.”
- “You have to kick people out of your head as forcefully as you’d kick someone out of your house if you didn’t want them to be there.”
- “If something didn’t work – like if I put a dress up for auction and no one was bidding on it – I didn’t just assume that no one wanted it. I just tried something else. I rewrote the product description, or swapped out the thumbnail…”
- “You is who you is, so get used to it.”
- “The last thing the world needs is another boring person or another boring brand, so embrace all the things that make you different.”
- “The energy you’ll expend focusing on someone else’s life is better spent working on your own.”