As busy individuals with hardly any time to reflect on what we do, we can easily become slaves to our habits. Habits form gradually over the course of our lives, and if we don’t consciously fight them, we end up blindly following them day after day. They can shape every single aspect of our lives, from the way we speak to ourselves, to our relationships, to how we work and even think.
The Society for Personality and Social Psychology has found that “about 40 percent of people’s daily activities are performed each day in almost the same situations,” without conscious thought. Some of these patterns are important to help us get through the day – imagine if every night, you had to analyze the steps it takes to brush your teeth. Still, the study just goes to show how subconscious learnings and routines rule far more of our lives than many of us realize.
However, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If you’re happy with the way you do things and don’t feel any need to change, well then, good for you!
But let’s just say that you feel a need to reconsider how you’re currently living and working, and perhaps modify your existing habits. Well, here is your opportunity to harness your power to change by using some time-tested adages and quotes to guide yourself in the right direction.
Just remember that while you’ll likely feel motivated while reading these quotes and maybe for half an hour after, your habits will want to quickly take over again. You’ll need to maintain self-awareness about your existing behaviors in order to alter them.
So keep reminding yourself of the positive changes you want to make and see in yourself. It’s hard to do in the beginning, but with some time and effort, you’ll get there.
Ten sayings to inspire you to work and live in new ways
- Dream big, work hard, stay focused and surround yourself with good people. – Anonymous
- Modern man is conditioned to expect instant gratification, but any success or triumph realized quickly, with only marginal effort, is necessarily shallow. Meaningful achievement takes time, hard work, persistence, patience, proper intent and self-awareness. The path to success is punctuated by failure, consolidation, and renewed effort. – Mark Twight, mountain climber and writer
- Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you – Ruth Bader Ginsburg, US Supreme Court Justice
- The intrinsic path to success is to focus on being the person that you are, and put all of your energy and drive into being the best possible version of yourself. – Paul Buchheit, entrepreneur and creator of Gmail
- There are several paths to success; We are given multiple opportunities to achieve our potential throughout our lives. Some get there a little faster than others. But one thing is for sure; NO ONE gets there without first having a goal then taking action and LOTS of it! – Rachael Bermingham, entrepreneur and Australian TV personality
- Multi-tasking is merely the opportunity to screw up more than one thing at a time. – Gary W. Keller, author and founder of the world’s largest real estate company
- As self-knowledge develops, we begin to care more about what we think and less about what others ask of us. – Charles Hayes, Gospel musician
- Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life – learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. – Robert Fulgham, author and Unitarian/Universalist minister
- The calm and balanced mind is the strong and great mind; the hurried and agitated mind is the weak one. – Wallace D. Wattles, writer
- What looks like multitasking is really switching back and forth between multiple tasks, which reduces productivity and increases mistakes by up to 50 percent. – Susan Cain, author and lecturer