A few minutes every morning is all you need.
Stay up to date on the world's Headlines and Human Stories. It's fun, it's factual, it's fluff-free.
- Anonymous is a decentralized international activist and hacktivist collective.
- It’s hacked governments and their agencies in the past, such as the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the Islamic State and the Church of Scientology.
- It’s known for advocating on a wide range of issues and doesn’t have a hierarchy or leadership.
- On Thursday, Anonymous tweeted from an account linked to the group called @YourAnonOne that it had Russia in its sights.
- Since then, the group has claimed credit for several cyber incidents. One primary incident they’ve claimed is a Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack, which is when you flood a site with traffic so much that it goes down.
- On top of that, the group has said that they’ve brought down government sites and state-backed media outlets like Russia Today.
- Over the weekend, Anonymous said it had hacked the Russian Ministry of Defence database. On Sunday, the group reportedly hacked Russian state TV channels and posted pro-Ukraine content.